Closing the month is important, but it doesn’t have to be stressful.
To close or not to close, that is the question. The answer? CLOSE! A lot of offices worry about closing out the month and how it “locks down the month and they can’t make changes.” I’ve always compared closing out the month to banking. If you deposit one thousand dollars into your bank account but notice on the receipt that it says one hundred dollars, you walk back up to the teller and point out the error. Instead of deleting off the original deposit, the teller typically does an adjustment to make it right. We can do the same thing in Dentrix.
Consequences of Not Closing the Month
- The Accounts Receivables don’t age. Everything looks like it’s in the current column, rather than aging at 30, 60, and 90 days.
- Patient statements can be several pages because it includes everything, rather than just showing the most recent procedures.
- Data on reports can be skewed.
Tips to Increase Your Confidence in Closing the Month
- Read the Day Sheet. The doctors and hygienists should read their own Day Sheets to verify accuracy. Missing Build-Ups, PA’s, or Fluoride treatments can often be spotted on a Day Sheet. They can even identify and correct a wrong tooth before claims go out.
- If someone makes an error (and we are all human, so expect a few), simply inactivate the procedure, make the appropriate adjustment, and re-enter the correct data.
- Make it a habit—it will get easier every time.
Get the Help You Need
Not sure where to start? Watch one of the videos or the recorded webinar to learn how to close the month.
- If you’re using Dentrix G7.5 or higher, click here to watch the tutorial about the Close Month feature.
- If you’re using Dentrix G6.5-G7.4, click here to watch a free on-demand webinar about closing the month with the Task Scheduler.
- If you’re using G6.4 or any previous versions of Dentrix, click here to watch the tutorial about closing the month and year.
Keep the following in mind as you close the month:
- Create an up-to-the-minute backup of your practice data before you close the month.
- Make sure you have installed all Dentrix hotfixes before you close the year. To check for available hotfixes, in the Office Manager, click Help > About Dentrix, then click Check for Updates.
A closed-out month is a happy month!
For Dentrix G7.5 or higher, watch the tutorial video about the Close Month feature.
For Dentrix G6.4 or any previous versions of Dentrix, watch the month end tutorial.
To learn more about closing the month, read Month End Options in One Click! The New Month End Window or see the Running month end topic in Dentrix Help.
By Jeri Sorenson-Amato, Practice Development Specialist