Assigning billing types in Dentrix is a great way to categorize patient accounts. The benefit of assigning patient accounts to a billing type is because nearly every report you generate in Dentrix can be filtered by a patient’s billing type.
Here are five ideas of how you can assign billing types to patient accounts, and how they can be useful in your office:
- If your office does orthodontics, create a billing type for orthodontics. When you run an Aging Report, you can choose to exclude the orthodontics billing type from the report since those accounts typically take longer to be paid.
- Use the No Insurance billing type for patients with no insurance. You can run the Treatment Manager and specifically target patients assigned that billing type to offer them a discount or discuss your in-office discount plan to encourage them to proceed with their treatment plan.
- Use the Bad Debt and Bad Debt to Collections billing types for those accounts that have large, outstanding balances. When running your Continuing Care Report, you can exclude this billing type to avoid contacting those patients for recall appointments. \
- Use the No Statement and No Finance Charges billing types for employees or friends and family of the doctor. When generating billing statements, exclude these billing types. This avoids any embarrassment of accidentally sending these patients a statement.
- Assign the Payment Plan billing type for patients on payment agreements. You can run the Collections Manager and specifically target those billing types to stay on top of accounts that need to make consistent payment per their agreements.
Billing types can be a great way to categorize patient accounts when running reports, because you can choose to include only the billing types you want to see based on the report you are running.
By Charlotte Skaggs, Certified Dentrix Trainer
Charlotte Skaggs is the founder of Vector Dental Consulting LLC, a practice management firm focused on taking offices to the next level. Charlotte co-owned and managed a successful dental practice with her husband for 17 years. She has a unique approach to consulting based on the perspective of a practice owner. Charlotte has been using Dentrix for almost 20 years and is a certified Dentrix trainer. Contact Charlotte at [email protected]